Monday, April 30, 2007

New Favourite Things



With all my threads and yarns but back into their appropriate places (this is the before photo) and Sunday stretched out before me, I really wanted to take the day and read, listen to music and dream about art. I did allow myself the luxury of an hour to do that since there was still laundry to hang, a piece in my studio that needed finishing and my yoga class to work on (I teach yoga every Monday morning).

While I sat outside in the sunshine I began forming a list in my head of all the new things I've discovered lately that are now favourites. Over the course of the last few months I finished reading Markus Zusak's "The Book Thief" and "I Am The Messenger". Both are thought provoking and so beautifully written they will make you weep. Some authors have a natural ability through the words they put on paper to touch our souls and to have us look at the world in a different way than we had before. He is that kind of author

Since I've just recently started blogging and had no idea whether I was doing it right .......is there a wrong way??? I started checking out other artist's blogs just to get some sort of idea of what direction I should take. The ceramic artist Cynthia Guajardo was so very helpful in providing me with some tips and for adding me to her online list of blogs. Thanks Cynthia

Through surfing the web I came across my new favourite painter Tracy Helgeson. The first time I saw her work I was blown away. I can only imagine how beautiful it would be to see in person. Her use of colour, layering and composition is exquisite. I also enjoy Tracy's blog very much. She has an approachable and down to earth way of writing about her art and her life that makes you feel as if you are sitting at her kitchen table having a cup of tea. Perhaps I'll start a fund to save some money and buy one of her pieces. Gorgeous

Last but not least, I'm listening to a lot of Buddha Bar II. I'm not sure what genre it falls into....maybe new age/techno....regardless it's fabulous. From what I understand, the music originated from The Buddha Bar which is situated next to the Place de la Concorde in Paris. It is known to be an exceptional and even mythical spot.

So, just few of my new favourite things that make my corner of the world a great place to live. If you have anything you would like to share, I'd love to hear it

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Don't you just love days like those? Where the possibilities seem endless and it's just a matter of choosing? So rarely do they come along.

Thanks for the shout out Melody! I'm honored.

Tracy's work is gorgeous, I will have to spend some time on her blog when I have an extended moment.

Tracy Helgeson said...

Thanks Melody for the very kind mention. I love the photo you put up, "before" has it's own particular beauty. And I don't think I have mentioned my yarn fetish on my blog yet...

And thanks Cynthia, you will need a very extended moment to even go through a week of blog posts, I am a bit chatty:)