Saturday, April 21, 2007

Views from Portugal



We arrived home from Portugal a few days ago but haven't had a chance to post until now. Unfortunately I have come down with the world's worst cold and stayed in bed all day yesterday. Not feeling too sorry for myself though, as I did return home with a smile on my face, an truly inspired heart and feeling quite blessed to have been able to experience the beauty of Portugal.

My husband had won the trip through a sales incentive plan for his job and I felt so very lucky to be along for the ride.

We flew into Lisbon and immediately boarded a bus for Sintra which is where we would be staying. Sintra is approximately 40 mins. outside of Lisbon and is everything you would expect from a quaint European town. It was like magically stepping back in time. Outdoor cafes, narrow cobblestone paths leading up to shops filled with leather goods, ceramics and a variety of textiles (yeah!). I was on cloud nine drifting in and out of all these fascinating shops. I came across a tiny establishment in which the owner had created all of the ceramics in the store. He spoke to me of how much his work meant to him and how his new ideas came from dreams he had everynight, dreams filled with colour and shape. There was such incredible beauty in his face when he spoke of his passion that I was quite moved. I then thought of my friend, the fabulous artist Cynthia Guajardo and knew she too, would be so very inspired by all the work here and how it was so lovingly created.

I felt so priviledged to be able to take in all the various forms of art around me. Being an artist myself, I have the greatest respect for all others who work from the creativity of their souls and produce work that speaks of their life experiences........that speaks of the very essence of who they are.

My next few blogs will focus on some of the sights and sounds of Portugal

Be well,

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Wow, it sounds like you had a terrific trip Melody! I would love to go to Portugal some day. I would have enjoyed having coffee with the potter you met. Thanks for the shout out and I look forward to seeing some of your photos of you trip.