Monday, February 11, 2008

Safe Cosmetics


Last week on the CBC radio show "The Current" there was an interesting discussion on the personal products we use on our face and bodies. Everything from body washes, shampoos, cosmetics etc. etc. Stacy Malkan who wrote "Not Just Another Pretty Face: The Ugly Side of the Beauty Industry" was the guest. Now I have from time to time thought about what I was using when it comes to these products but like others just didn't take the time to make any sort of change........ although I must say it is quite frightening to read the back of your shampoo bottle. I can't pronounce half of those ingredients never mind know what they mean. After this eye opening half hour I seriously did decide to slowly begin weeding out what I consider to be "toxic" products. For the past few years I have been using good old fashioned baking soda and vinegar with a bit of soap for cleaning. My mom's generation can't be wrong on that. It works great!! I've also discovered the "Method" cleaning products which I highly recommend also.
Checkout Safe Cosmetics to get a detailed list of what actually IS in the products you buy.

Shortly after all this happened, a friend of mine mentioned a line of body soaps and creams available on Etsy from a small home business just outside of Edmonton, Alberta. I checked it out and bought a few and "wow" they were great. I ordered a couple of the body butters, soaps and lip balms My kids say it is the best lip balm they have ever used. Krysta makes all the products herself with NO harsh chemicals. Check her out at Simple Pleasures Soapworks.

2 comments:

andrea said...

Thank you for the link! I'm going in that direction myself and recently bought a cream made of olive oil and shea butter only from someone on Etsy but Krysta's products look better, cheaper *and* Canadian. I'm going there next!

Melody said...

You'll really like her products Andrea....they smell great and leave your skin silky smooth. The lip balm feels wonderful on.