Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Kettlebell

I was visiting Kelly a few weeks ago and couldn't help but notice how great she looked. Her arms were especially toned and overall there was some sort of change. She told me her secret was "the kettlebell". I in turn, with a dumbfounded look on my face said, "what?". As I understand it the kettlebell is a traditional Russian weight looking somewhat like a cannonball with a handle. The kettlebell has become a popular exercise tool in the United States due largely to the efforts of strength, cardio and flexibility. So Kelly took me downstairs to the basement and showed me exactly what it was as well as how to use it. The swinging it around part made me a bit nervous (she uses 18 pounds) as I could see myself dropping it on my head or my feet. Anyway, Kelly sent me some video links as well as this cool blog on Gabi from Hungary who apparently used to weight 240 pounds and is now some expert on the kettlebell.

So last week I picked one up and started very slowly working out with it. Now a few years ago Kelly and I were working out with traditional weights on a regular basis but I never found my heartrate really getting up there enough to do anything for my cardio. The beauty of the kettlebell is that not only do you gain strength and overall tone but you are also accomplishing your cardio goal as well. Cardio and strength training all in one.......you can't beat that. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to workout with this thing on a regular basis right now as I'm leaving for New York on Sunday, back for a week and then gone again. But I'll do what I can in the mean time. Now don't look for my arms to rival Gabi's or Kelly's anytime soon as I can't see that ever happening. I think I have genetically inherited underarm sagginess from my grandmother, you know when you wave goodbye to someone and so do your arms?.......but who knows maybe by Thanksgiving I'll be giving them a run for their money. Ok, for sure not Gabi as I'll bet she doesn't eat chocolate.

No comments: