Monday, December 15, 2008

Living In Paradise ..... Sappy Post Ahead




For the last few years John and I have hosted what we like to call "The Christmas Tree Hunt". It began quite simply with just a few friends and us heading out to our local tree farm to cut down a tree, drink some apple cider and enjoy time with people whose company we enjoy. Flash forward a few years and our numbers have mushroomed to about 25 friends and family. So early Saturday morning we all met at our place had some coffee and muffins and headed out to look for a Christmas Tree.



We decided on Gillespie's because of the horse drawn, I would like to say sleigh but it's actually a wagon... hey, you can't have everything. It was quite a cool day and the wind was a bit brisk but we were as they say, on a mission. The minute we got off the wagon I think the mission changed from finding the perfect Christmas tree to cutting something down quickly because it was too damn to stand out there looking for something that even resembled "perfect". We decided on a spruce which looked good until John began cutting it down. It wasn't until then the girls noticed the big hole near the back.........oh well, put it toward the wall is what I say....no one will see it there. The girls suggested lots of tinsel might do the trick. On the way back the crazy guy who was driving the tractor with a wagon on the back took us on quite the ride. Branches in the face, ducking the bottoms of trees and almost tipping over........ my three year old nephew enjoyed it immensely.


Once we got back to our house I put on the chilli and set out the food and smiled watching all of our friends reaquaint with each other and new friends meet old ones. We had kids from as young as 3 months to 53 years (yeah, I wasn't the oldest) Here comes the sappy part.............. I never fail to realize how lucky I am to live where I live and to have the friends I have. Each and everyone of them brings something wonderful to not only this day but everyday since I have known them. To stand back and watch them enjoy themselves was the gift.


Thank you


Rob, Kelly, Danielle, Holly

Charlie, Joan & Anne

Anders, Vivian & Luke

Jason & Jake

Les & Victoria

Gregor, Carla, Pico & Fiona

Andy, Laurie & Ben

No comments: