Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Musee des Beaux-Arts

Day 2 - John has decided we must move to Bordeaux. I listen nodding my head intently with a understanding but quizzical look on my face. After he was done I listed three obstacles standing in our way

1. We could never afford to live here

2. We have no job prospects

3. We do not speak French


He blows off this reasoning seeing obstacles as simple details. I love his optimism and decide to let him run with it.


This morning after a record breaking 12 hour sleep we awoke to find out we had missed breakfast. John ran downstairs and grabbed us a coffee (really strong) and a couple of pastries....you know a nice healthy French breakfast. After that I eat a chocolate covered caramel I find in my purse which I had forgotten about. I thought I devoured them all yesterday.


With map in hand we set out to not only explore the city but to visit the Musee des Beaux-Arts. The grounds of the museum were jaw droppingly gorgeous. Unbelievably well tended to with this sculpture prominently featured which I saw as a mix of the present and the past.




The Musee des Beaux-Arts houses 15th to 20th century works by Titian, Rubens, Delaxroix, Vernonese and others. There was also a Mattise/Marquet exhibit featured at their sister building which was only a few blocks away. More on that in my next post. I also found a textile piece as well as etchings . Here's a few pics...











This was our favourite painting which was entitled "The Building of Bordeaux" by Pierre Lacour. It had to be at least 8' x 10' and the attention to detail was stunning. You could sit for hours just taking it all in as there was so much going on in every section of the work. It was mesermizing.


Next post the Matisse/Marquet exhibit..............










No comments: