Sunday, July 22, 2007

The View From Here


Hmmm.....I really love Sundays.
John has taken off to the archery range for the day, both of the girls are headed to friends and I have a full day stretched out in front of me. I will probably work which may sound strange to some but working makes me happy. I experience great joy when I'm in my studio "figuring things out". I call it my place of meditation as I find when I am "creating" nothing else comes into my head. I am just in that moment. May sound corny but it is absolutely true. Today I'm working on a small piece, it will probably end up being 8"x10" once it is matted and framed. It is a wildflower garden with lots of daisies. I'm also working on a piece that was inspired by my trip to Toronto a few weeks ago. I will post both when they are completed and you can let me know what you think.
Last night we attended a small party for my friends Andy and Laurie who are due to get married in August. Lots of fun, lots of laughs and lots of food. I only ate a bit of the salads as I was still feeling full from the late lunch we had.........a veggie burger (trying to be good) but then blew it with the fries that arrived on my plate. I did not ask for them but figured since they were there I would eat just a few...... well, a few led to all. That plate couldn't have been any cleaner had I licked it. My pants are not feeling any looser these days. Anyway, both Andy and Laurie are coming to see me today to pick out a piece of my art which will be my wedding gift to them.
I am currently reading a great book "Eat, Pray, Love: One woman's search for everything across Italy, India and Indonesia" by Elizabeth Gilbert. It is touted as her spiritual memoir. I am not that far into it as of yet but I am already loving it. If you get a chance check out the "Thoughts on Writing" section on her website. I love this quote
"I believe that – if you are serious about a life of writing, or indeed about any creative form of expression – that you should take on this work like a holy calling. I became a writer the way other people become monks or nuns. I made a vow to writing, very young. I became Bride-of-Writing. I was writing’s most devotional handmaiden. I built my entire life around writing. I didn’t know how else to do this. I didn’t know anyone who had ever become a writer. I had no, as they say, connections. I had no clues. I just began"
I think that is so beautifully said.
Hope your having a good weekend too

No comments: