Sunday, June 1, 2008

Time To Put My Money Where My Mouth Is

My oldest daughter came home on Wednesday night all fired up about meeting Craig Keilburger and hearing him speak. She said it was one of the most powerful experiences she had ever had. I knew it would be as I've listened to him before and he definitely is a man on a mission. It was fascinating to sit around the table and listen to her excitement as she described what that day was like and what it meant to her. She met him personally afterward and said he was unbelievably kind and just exuded such energy and passion. So after all was said and done I began thinking about what I could do. Yes, I've bought the "Me To We" book, bought their "Be The Change" t shirts to give out as Christmas gifts, talked about the organization but I guess I feel I've talked a good game but when it comes right down to it........time to put my money where my mouth is.

I've made a personal decision to choose one artwork per show (maybe two, we'll see how it goes) and if that piece sells, the money will go to funding an appropriate project through Free The Children. I'm going to contact them tomorrow and get all the ins and outs on how to make this happen. I would like to have a small card beside the piece for my upcoming show at The Carriage House Gallery, which will inform the potential buyer exactly what the money is going to be used for. A tax receipt will be issued to whomever buys the work also. It is a win/win situation for everyone. For me, for the buyer, for Free The Children and ultimately and most importantly for the people whom the money will help.

I'm getting off my soapbox now............thanks for reading
Hope your well,

2 comments:

Ellen said...

I didn't know who Craig Keilburger was until I read more and now I remember him. Free the Children looks like a charity with a lot of success and especialy integrity. An organization that works on the term 'holistic' international develpment has got me. You've inspired me to read that book (as a first step) and way to go about taking action through your talents!

Melody said...

Ellen, thank you so much for your kind words. I'd be interested in hearing what you think of the book when your finished. Take care,