Saturday, September 22, 2007

It's Not Oprah but Still Television


So last night was my long awaited television interview which I must say was nerve wracking. All day my stomach was filled with butterflies and I had no appetite whatsoever (that wasn't such a bad thing). I drove into the television studio at about 8pm as the show began "live" at 9pm. Met with the lovely host Deanne McCallum and the other two women artists, Andrea Marcuzzi and Lois Green that would also be on the show. I even sat in the "green room" which really was painted green.
I kept thinking of why I agreed to do this as it felt really uncomfortable to me but that was exactly why I agreed to do it. I'm at a time in my life when I feel I need to take on new challenges and anything that makes me feel like I'm stepping outside of the box, out of my comfort zone is a good thing. I kept thinking.....what is the worst that could happen? No, I didn't want to go there. I finally realized everything was going to be fine and all my nervousness was just my mind wanting to make itself heard. Note to self........meditate longer every day.
It ended up being a good experience. The show ran for an hour and we discussed women in the arts, balancing art and family, passion and inspiration, the Images Tour etc. After about twenty minutes I kind of forgot the cameras were even there and it was rather like an enjoyable conversation with friends.
I guess the lesson I learned from this one (yes, I always think there is a lesson) is to take some chances. Do it because it forces you to step out of the box.........you can always get back in later but maybe you won't want to.

1 comment:

Jean Levert Hood said...

Melody, how fantastic for you! I love your comment about getting out of the box, that we can always climb back in. That got a laugh from me. I think we tend to glue ourselves into that box at times, but after we get out, we love the feeling. Hoping that your TV appearance brings more opportunities to you.
Jean

www.JeanLevertHood.com