Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Kids Back To School, I'm Back to Work

I realized today as my alarm went off at 6:00 am that my vacation is now over. I was trying as hard as I could to drag it out but the cold reality is that..........it is over. From the comfort of my bed I could hear my two teenage daughters fighting over who was going to take the last muffin in their lunch. For a brieft second I did pull the covers over my head and pretend I could hear the waves of the lake lapping up over the shore but when the yelling reached a fever pitch I knew I had to get up. My oldest is up at 5:30am for a shower and to "get ready". What getting ready entails is shower, blow dryer, hair straightener a touch of mascara and throwing together a lunch. When I was her age "getting ready" for me was just dragging myself out of bed. When I tell them this they say "well, that was in the olden days" Yikes...... Unfortunately the bus picks them up at 7:00 am which seems obscene to me but that is the price you pay to live in the country.
It rained all day today which made me feel a touch blue. I know the rain is necessary but the dreariness of it all just makes me realize summer is over and fall is on it's way.
I writing this at about 9:30pm and I am tired. I worked off and on from the minute the kids got on the bus until just a few minutes ago. I say "on and off" because there is always laundry to do, dishes to wash, carpets to vaccum etc..........you get the picture. Tonight is our "no" TV night which I think is great but unfortunately I do tend to work more than I should especially when I'm getting ready for a show. It was good to look out the window and see the kids playing badminton together instead of sitting in front of the television.
The piece I'm posting is from the trip John and I took with his company this past spring to Portugal. We spent a fabulous day with friends in the lovely village of Sintra. Yes, Kelly was there. I'm really proud of this one as I love the contrast between the acrylic paint and the thread work. Tomorrow it will head off to the framers and will be a part of the Images Artist Studio Tour in October. Hope your all rested and looking forward to the cooler weather ahead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is ....WOW!!!. Having been there that day with you I can see how you perfectly captured the feel and look of the street. At first I thought you had posted a photograph. I love it...and you too.

Melody said...

Thanks Kelly, I love it when you leave posts on my blog.